How to Prepare for the 2013 CW Star Auditions

January 8th, 2013 at 1:03 pm by under CW Star, The Dayton's CW

It’s that time of year…the CW Star auditions are back!

That means it’s almost time for yours truly to be passing on the torch to the next face of Dayton’s CW.

If you will be attending the auditions and want some advice I’ve got a few ideas for you.

1) Look Camera Ready- Pick out an outfit that you’re comfortable in but that says, “I’m ready to be on television.” Bright colors are a good choice. Dark jeans and a jacket always look good too. I’d recommend that you avoid anything with a distracting pattern.

2)Get Your Face In Place- The camera is not kind to any kind of blemish or redness on your skin. So that means some make-up is needed to give you an even skin tone. A little foundation and powder should do the trick…this goes for guys too.

3)Smile- It let’s the judges know you’re excited and happy to be auditioning, even if you are feeling nervous and unsure on the inside.

4)Do Your Homework- Do you watch Dayton’s CW? If so, that’s great. If not, that’s ok too but you should become familiar with it by watching a show or two and exploring daytonscw.com. Also, check out my videos to see what I’ve done this year in both interviews and events.

5)Know the Facts- Read the application and rules thoroughly so you  know what is to be expected. Also, if you happen to list a special talent, you might want to be prepared to bust that talent out during your audition.

6)Be Confident- You are awesome! Let the judges know that through your body language and voice (don’t fidget or shift your weight too much). If you are someone who starts talking faster when they get nervous be aware of that and try to keep an even pace.

7)Say Hi- If you happen to spot me at the auditions (which I’m sure you will) say hello and if you have questions for me I’ll answer them as best I can while you wait in line.

8)Have Fun- The fact that you are auditioning at all takes guts. I was really nervous last year at my audition but in the end I was so happy that I gave it a shot!

It’s going to be such a great day. I can’t wait to meet all of you that come and audition. Best of luck!

8 Responses to “How to Prepare for the 2013 CW Star Auditions”

1. Howard Selby says:

Thank you for your input. I greatly appreciate it.

2. Mike says:

IF I was the CW star and IF I was allowed by CW I would do 3 one minute spots EVERY WEEK. The first minute would be things to do. The second would be Small Family Business of the week. The last would be fun facts about the area.
    I would do these things for all over the WDTN viewing area. Just NOT Dayton! It’s funny when there is a storm warning every station in Dayton covers 15 counties. BUT when it comes to things to do or small businesses of the area they only cover Montgomery and Miami counties and that is it! What about the other 13 counties?!!!! And what gets me is these new news people come to town and talk about some small town in the area and they don’t even pronouce the towns name right! They don’t know a thing about what is going on, just what the stations tell them to say! An example is a long time WHIO Weather person said the other day they didn’t know Fort Recovery had a monument! I guess I was lucky I have lived in this area all my life and every Sun my family would take Sunday drives all over Ohio just to see what these towns have to offer and the festives of the area. There are more festives in the area then just the Strawberry Fest and Pork Fest but if you listen to the local media and just moved here that is all you would think was going on. To bad I have to work the 19th or I would be there BUT I doubt if I would get it as WDTN/CW probably don’t want the area to know what really is going on in the area. This is what I would do every week for the $20,000.00. No offense to Brandy but I don’t know what she did this past year to deserve the $20,000! Do you?

3. Dayton's CW Star Brandy says:

Mike,

We are actually planning to have a second audition the following week. At this time the location is TBD but keep checking back at daytonscw.com to see it announced!

It’s been a very exciting and busy year for me and I’ve loved having the chance to highlight all the amazing events, businesses, and people in area. The CW Star position is such a great opportunity because you have a chance to maintain a blog, create segments, edit content, and meet people in the community through our street team events.

Thanks,

Brandy

4. jay says:

Thanks for the tips Brandy. I thought you have done an excellent job. Keep up the good work and good luck in the future.

5. Alyssa says:

Do you have to be 21 years old to participate? The Application asks if you are 18, but the rules state 21.
    Help!

6. Dayton's CW Star Brandy says:

Jay,
    Thanks so much. I appreciate the kind words.

Alyssa,
    You have caught a typo. You must be 21 this year to participate. Last year it was 18. Sorry for the confusion. We are working on fixing that document and reuploading it. :)

7. Sam says:

Brandy: is it possible to have another job while doing this? I’m a third shift nurse..

8. Dayton's CW Star Brandy says:

Sam,

It is possible to have another job while being the CW Star. You have to work 20 hours a week for CW but some events do take place in the evening or weekend. It all depends. It wouldn’t be easy but it is indeed possible! =)